My Footprints and How I Can Make An Impact for Improvement

Learning about your footprints on the world can be very surprising and intimidating. I did not realize how much of an impact I have on Earth until I analyzed my results from the footprint calculators.

This quarter, at Western Washington University, I am taking a marketing sustainability course that allows me to explore more ways to be sustainable. These footprint calculations can really put things in perspective. Not only that, they even give recommendations to reduce your footprint in any way!

 Ecological Footprint:


When looking at my results they say that my overshoot day would be March 2nd, which means that I would have used all of the resources provided by the Earth and they would not be able to be renewed until the next year. My results show that if everyone lived the same lifestyle that I did, we would need almost 6 Earths. This is higher than the average in the US.

Carbon Footprint:


When using the carbon footprint calculator and analyzing my results, it says that I use 32 tons of CO per year, which is 0% better than the average in the US. My biggest contributors are my home, food and travel which makes sense in my current lifestyle and living situation, Even though I only live with one more person, we use a lot of energy and electricity between the both of us. I tend to drive a lot which also makes a lot of sense for the travel section, however, I do not go on an airplane very often.

Water Footprint:


When analyzing my results from the water footprint calculator, it seems like I do pretty good in this section compared to the US Average. It states that I use 1,579 gallons per day which is less than the US average by about 200 salons per day. I would say I am pretty good about saving water and being more efficient with it as I take quick showers and do not let the water run too much. I wonder how much flushing the toilet accounts for these results. 

Actions I will take:
Leaving the water running less as this seems to actually work!
I will change my diet and pay attention to how I dispose of the packaging, leftovers, etc.
I will also be getting a new car that will be a lot more eco friendly.

Links to Footprint Calculators:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Last Footprint Evaluation